Ustad Sajjad Hussain is a professional classical vocalist based out of the capital city of Maharashtra, Mumbai. He belongs to the famous Gwalior Gharana and is known for his in-depth knowledge of music.
He is a complete artist, and pure classical music is his main forte. His LIVE performances seamlessly range from classical ragas to semi-classical thumris, ghazals, bhajans and even film songs, traversing many styles in his versatility.
He has performed all over India at many prestigious events and in countries like UK, Dubai, Germany, etc.
He is the grandson of the maestro, Ustad Mohammad Hussain Khansaab, who was a great classical vocalist and a sarangi player. He has been performing on stage since the age of 14.
Sajjad Hussain has been a regular artist of AIR, DD, and the State Government of Maharashtra.
He has been running a music school called 'Saraswati Sadhana' in Mumbai for the last 30 years. He has trained more than 200 students in his gurukul including celebrity students like famous actress Deepika Padukone, Salman Khan’s elder sister, Alvira Atul Agnihotri, Miss World Yukta Mukhi, Miss India Ami Vashi, TV actress Naushin Khan, and many more.
He has been organising a musical event annually on the occasion of ‘Guru Purnima’ for the last 25 years where he gives a chance to his students to perform on stage and showcase their talent.
Ustad Sajjad Hussain is also the master of the art of music therapy and conducts workshops and demonstrations on Indian classical music and gives lectures on different topics of music.
- First audio recording with Mubarak Begum and second audio recording with Tabassum
- Directed music for the TV serial, Mr Kanjoos and later directed music for the TV serial, Anbhutee
- Recorded a song with Kumar Sanu for ATN
- Performed on a moonlight night outside the Taj Mahal in Agra
- Received ‘Patrakar Vikas Parishad Award' for best Musician of the year
- Performed at 12 private Ghazal shows in Dubai in 1990
- Performed at eight shows in Dubai and Abu Dhabi in 1999
- Performed at world Music Festival in Bangalore in 2001
- He was invited to perform for the Republic Day function at Nehru Memorial Hall Pune
- In 2009 was invited in Delhi to conduct a three days Workshop on Hindustani music
- In 2010 conducted a workshop on Hindustani music at Khan Gymkhana Mumbai
- In 2011 invited to Jaipur for a series of shows at different places like Military Headquarter, Jal Mahal, Jaipur fort